The Mystery Revealed
January 8, 2017 Series: Not Ashamed of the Gospel
Passage: Luke 24:36–24:49, Romans 1:24–1:26
“Not Ashamed of the Gospel : The Mystery Revealed”
Luke 24:36-49/Romans 1:24-26
1. a Definition of the Gospel:
“Gospel”—comes from an old English which meant Good Story.
The biblical word is the word from which we get our English word Evangelism.
This is a word that means to shout, or call out Good News.
2. the Content of the Gospel: Luke 24:44-49—
• God the Father, who is holy and righteous in all his ways, will punish sin.
• Humanity has rebelled against his rule, and is therefore alienated from the love
of God and in danger of eternal and agonizing condemnation at the hands of God.
• But God, who is also rich in mercy, and great in love, sent his eternal Son born
of the virgin Mary, to die as a ransom and a substitute for the sins of rebellious people.
• Now, through the perfect obedience of the Son of God and his willing death on
the cross as payment for our sins, all who repent and believe in Jesus Christ, following him as Saviour and Lord, will be saved from the wrath of God to come, declared just in his sight, have eternal life, and receive his Spirit as a foretaste of the glories of heaven with God himself.
3. the Qualification and Characteristics of a Gospeller: Luke 24:36-43/ Rom. 1:14-15—
- A “Gospeller has witnessed something.
- A “Gospeller” has been transformed.
4. the Consequence of the Gospel: Romans 1:16/Matthew 24:14—
a) The Personal Consequence: No Shame.
b) The Global Consequence: The Beginning of the End.
Application… All the Way My Saviour Leads Me
Adapted from: Thabiti Anyabwili, How to Be a Healthy Church Member, pp. 40-41. Crossway Books, Wheaton, Illinois. 2008