The Goal of Our Prayers
Why pray? Pastor Oliver explains the goal of our prayers and shares the thanksgivings and prayers from last Friday's prayer meeting. Do join in prayer as a church.
"This is the confidence we have before him: If we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears whatever we ask, we know that we have what we have asked of him."
1 John 5:14-15 (CSB)
Prayer is central to a living faith. And the apostle John in 1 John 5:14-15 wants to assure believers that God will hear us when we pray. Verse 14 tells us if we ask anything according to God's will, i.e. as revealed to us in His Scripture, God will hear us. This is something we can trust that God will do. Verse 15 continues and tells us: if we can be sure that God hears our prayers, we can be confident that God will answer our prayers and grant us what we prayed for. However, as the ESV Study Bible points out "This verse must be understood in light of other passages of Scripture which show that praying according to God's will includes the need to pray in faith (Matt. 21:22; James 1:6), with patience (Luke 18:1–8), in obedience (Ps 66:18; 1 Pet. 3:12), and in submission to God's greater wisdom (Luke 22:42; Rom. 8:28; 1 Pet. 4:19)." Sometimes we do not immediately get what we prayed for because God in His greater wisdom either says "no" or He defers His answer. He does this for our good. However, knowing that God hears and interacts with us is enough, because communion with God should be the ultimate goal of our prayers.
So, last Friday (31 Jan 2020), about 50-60 members of Grace Baptist Church gathered in church (Room 310) in obedience to God to pray for one another, for ourselves and for the world. We have gathered some highlights below so that you too can join with us in prayer as a church.
Prayer Points for the Monthly Prayer Meeting
The 2019-nCoV situation
Pray for Wuhan
- For God to be glorified in repentance from sin and faith in Christ.
- For the church to be "salt and light" in the world – positive witness and acts of mercy.
- For halt of the spread of the coronavirus, healing of the sick, and comfort for the bereaved.
Pray for our healthcare and medical workers
- For healthcare workers to find rest amid the busyness.
- For the church to support and pray for the healthcare workers amidst us.
Pray for Singapore
- For God to be glorified as many turn from sin and self-righteousness to faith in Christ Jesus.
- For the church to place its trust in God, and express faith, hope and love.
- For government leaders, especially Ministers Gan Kim Yong and Lawrence Wong, to have wisdom.
- For frontline healthcare workers in hospitals and clinics, immigration, and homefront crisis management to be vigilant, effective and resilient in doing good.
- For the affected persons to recover, and for God to spare their lives.
- For the hearts of Singaporeans not to turn to xenophobia, and for mercy to be shown to foreigners.
- For the halt of the spread of the virus in Singapore, and for the protection of the vulnerable (namely the aged and children).
Golden Girls Bible Study (led by Miauw Suang and Kit Wan)
- Give thanks for God's faithfulness.
- Pray for good health for the women and protection from accidents.
- Pray for more people to know of this ministry and to join in.
- Pray for the family and loved ones who recently experienced bereavements.
- Pray for the English Congregation Meeting of 16 Feb 2020 as we prayerfully consider electing Nehemiah Chong and Jonathan Tan as Elders and re-elect pastor Eugene Low for 5 more years.
- Prayer for Joel Loi and Jessica as well as Joshua Lowe and Tiffany Tan respectively as they get married this month (in Feb).
- Give thanks for the birth of Zoe Kong (born to Kong Chuan Wei and Melissa Fam).
- Give thanks for Samuel, Jessica, Josiah and Ezra Beh – for God's provision for their accommodation and needs. Pray for Sam's study and for them as a family to grow in Christlikeness as they love and serve at a local church in Vancouver, Canada.
Pray for David, Gladys and family for health and protection as they have been facing several illnesses recently.
Keep persevering in prayer!
WHAT IS GOING ON IN THE LIFE OF THE CHURCH
EQUIP 2020: WHAT IS THE BIBLE'S BIG STORY? | SAT 8 FEB | 3.30 PM – 5.30PM | ROOM 310 C & D
The Bible can be a challenging book to read. Comprising 66 books in two testaments, we may wonder how they are all connected. For example, how does the Book of Esther, which doesn't even mention God, fit in with the rest of Scripture? The Bible is one book with one big story. Join us for Equip, where we will trace this storyline from Genesis to Revelation.
Q&A WITH ELDER-CANDIDATES | SUN 9 FEB | 11.00 AM - 12.00 NOON | ROOM 310 A & B
We encourage church members to attend to get to know elder-candidates Nehemiah Chong and Jonathan Tan. Do also come and hear from Pastor Eugene Low as he will be up for re-election for another 5-year term. Let us take responsibility as a church to discern and steward God's voice.
MEMORIAL SERVICE FOR TOM CHANDLER | SAT 15 FEB | 2.00 PM | SANCTUARY
We will have a Memorial Service for Tom Chandler. Uncle "Tom", as he is known by many, was a missionary, past pastor of Grace Baptist Church, and friend to a number of us. We will be spending the time remembering Tom, his love for South Asia, and giving thanks to God for his life. All are invited to this service.
PREPARE FOR SERVICE THIS SUNDAY 9 FEB
Let us also prepare our hearts for the service this Sunday. Read through Luke 5:1-11 a few times as we hear about "Following Jesus". Pray that the Holy Spirit will not only prepare but also tutor our hearts as we receive God's authoritative Word.