Prayer Meeting on 26 May 2017
(26 May 2017)
I. DISCIPLESHIP SEMINARS (DS)
Prayer & Praise:
- Please pray with us as we plan the study at DS for the second half of the year.
- Pray for us as we consider how to better serve the needs of the church body & configure DS to serve those needs.
- Pray for our teachers to rest well during this recess & continue to draw close to Him & seek Him in all things.
Prayer & Praise:
- Grace Haven: Thanksgiving for the 9 boys, 3 girls and 2 staff who joined the core team, & Kim Cheng’s care group for organizing the outing on 20 May. Thankful for the fine weather, safety & opportunities to listen, encourage & share the gospel with some children during the walk and fellowship time. Pray that the children will remember the sharing by Bruce that through Christ they can forgive and reconcile with those who have hurt them.
- Tuition Ministry: Pray that the ministry representative will be able to share and encourage like-minded members to participate and support this outreach effort in Macpherson.
- Pray that GBC will be able to see what Jesus sees & feel what Jesus feels.
III. YOUTH MINISTRY
Prayer & Praise:
- Thanksgiving as the youth have come through another season of exams. Please be praying with us as we continue to learn to identify & engage the common idols of success, materialism & affirmation.
- Thanksgiving for the various individuals and CGs who have offered to support us in our activities
- Please be praying for us as we talk about how to use the June holidays productively to glorify Jesus.
IV. CHILDRENS’ MINISTRY
Prayer & Praise:
- A quick update on our memory verse CD project. We have been blessed many times over throughout this project. The recording studio has offered us a discounted fixed rate for services, allowing us to further stretch our budget. Staff have also been very helpful. We were able to also raise enough funds from a handful of members to cover the recording costs and many others have pledged support even when not approached. We thank God for his many blessings.
- Even as the teachers take a break in June, please pray for those who have agreed to teach in their stead that they may deliver the messages clearly.
- All the children will be doing an in-depth study of Psalm 23. The juniors will learn about our God, the shepherd who protects his sheep while the seniors will learn how we as sheep should respond to the shepherd's love.
V. CHURCH REBUILDING
Prayer & Praise:
- Site work progress. Thank God for the rebuilding work completed thus far. Please continue to pray for the following:
- The Registered Inspection (RI), a precursor to the TOP inspection, will be taking place on 29 May 2017. Pray that all the necessary items will be ready by then.
- Following the inspection, the procurement of the TOP will be smooth, targeting for mid-July.
- All the remaining items, while may not be needed for RI, be completed in good time for the TOP.
- Upon receiving the TOP, all preparations will be smooth for us to move into the new building by mid-August 2017.
- Pray for everyone as we now start to plan for the utilization of space in the new building.
- Church rebuilding fund. We are thankful that the church has raised $17.12 million as of 21 May 2017. Please pray that everyone will rally together for the final push to raise the remaining amount of $870K.
How to Pray for Missionaries … Part 2
Pray that God’s Word Will Spread
“Finally, dear brothers and sisters, I ask you to pray for us. Pray that the Lord’s message will spread rapidly and be honored wherever it goes ... .” — 2 Thessalonians 3:1 (NLT)
- Obstacles must be removed to allow God’s Word to spread rapidly and freely. Removing obstacles implies resolute resistance in spiritual warfare. Just as Aaron and Hur supported Moses’ arms in the battle against the Amalekites (Exodus 17:12), you can strengthen the arms of missionaries through your prayers.
- Pray for strength and stamina as missionaries encounter antagonistic spiritual forces (Ephesians 6:10–18).
- Pray that people will resist Satan’s plans to obstruct the spread of the gospel (James 4:7).
- Pray that God’s Word will indeed spread rapidly and be honored wherever it goes.
Pray for Protection
“Pray, too, that we will be saved from wicked and evil people, for not everyone believes in the Lord.” — 2 Thessalonians 3:2 (NLT)
- In some countries, open doors may expose missionaries to the possibility of danger and personal harm. Opposition to the gospel may include hatred and violence.
- Pray that God will keep Christian workers safe from those who seek to hurt them.
- Pray that God will change the hearts of those who are resistant to his Word.
Pray for Their Ministry
“Pray that the Lord's message will spread rapidly and be honored wherever it goes, just as when it came to you.” — 2 Thessalonians 3:1b (NLT)
- Cooperation and partnership are essential to ministry and vital to the progress of the work.
- Pray that the missionary’s ministry and attitude will be worthy of acceptance.
- Pray that colleagues and fellow believers will be supportive.
Pray for God’s Guidance
“So we have continued praying for you ever since we first heard about you. We ask God to give you a complete understanding of what he wants to do in your lives, and we ask him to make you wise with spiritual wisdom.” — Colossians 1:9 (NLT)
- Many missionaries travel frequently, both nationally and internationally. Their mode of transportation varies from country to country and often involves stressful situations.
- Pray for clear guidance from God regarding travel decisions.
- Pray for necessary permissions to travel.
- Pray for protection and provision during their travels.
Pray for Refreshment
“We also pray that you will be strengthened with his glorious power so that you will have all the patience and endurance you need. May you be filled with joy.” — Colossians 1:11 (NLT)
- Missionaries deal with many of the same stresses you face in life such as overwhelming workloads, relational conflicts and financial uncertainties. Often, however, missionaries struggle with these issues alone, without the fellowship and support of other Christians. Living and working cross-culturally adds an additional element that can challenge their emotional, spiritual and physical vitality.
- Pray that God will provide opportunities for missionaries in lonely areas to spend time with other believers.
- Pray that God will provide times of peace and relaxation to refresh his workers.
Pray that God will encourage missionaries with the knowledge that people back home care about their emotional well-being.
Partners in Prayer
The apostle Paul was a missionary and a man of prayer. He prayed for those without Christ, for the believers, and for the new churches established under his ministry. He also asked the believers to pray for him:
“Dear brothers and sisters, I urge you in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to join me in my struggle by praying to God for me. Do this because of your love for me, given to you by the Holy Spirit.” — Romans 15:30 (NLT)
Paul knew prayer would bring results:
“He will rescue us because you are helping by praying for us. As a result, many will give thanks to God because so many people’s prayers for our safety have been answered.” — 2 Corinthians 1:11 (NLT)
In his letters, Paul gave specific prayer requests for which believers should pray. As a prayer partner with those who are called to go, you too will have an impact that can reach around the world. Paul’s prayer requests can serve as a tool for praying with effectiveness and understanding.