Care Group Leader Materials
Materials for Care Group leaders (CLOBS)
Bible Study Materials for II Timothy (2nd half 2013)
1. Hughes, R. Kent & Chapell, Bryan. “1-2 Timothy and Titus: To Guard the Deposit” in Preaching the Word. Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2012.
2. Stott, John. “The Message of 2 Timothy” in The Bible Speaks Today. Nottingham, England: Inter-Varsity Press, 1999.
Bible Study Materials for Book of Nehemiah (1st half 2014)
1. Raymond Brown. "The Message of Nehemiah" in The Bible Speaks Today.Nottingham, England: Inter-Varsity Press, 1998.
2. James Montgomery Boice. "Nehemiah" in Expositional Commentary. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books. 2006.
Bible Study Materials for the Sermon on the Mount (2nd half 2014)
1. Sinclair B Ferguson. The Sermon on the Mount: Kingdom Life in a Fallen World. Edinburgh, UK: The Banner of Truth Trust.1987.
2. John Stott. "The Message of The Sermon on the Mount" in The Bible Speaks Today. Nottingham, England: Inter-Varsity Press. 1978.
3. D A Carson. Jesus' Sermon on the Mount and his Confrontation with the World: An Exposition of Matthew 5-10. Baker Books. 2004.
1. Albert Mohler. Audio MP3s from his Sermon Series on the Gospel of Matthew @ http://www.albertmohler.com/category/powerline/
2. John Piper. Sermon Transcript and Audio MP3 from his Sermon The Beatitudes and the Gospel of the Kingdom @ http://www.desiringgod.org/sermons/the-beatitudes-and-the-gospel-of-the-kingdom
Bible Study Materials for the Letter to the Philippians (1st half 2015)
1. Motyer, Alec. "The Message of Philippians: Jesus our Joy" in The Bible Speaks Today. Nottingham, England: Inter-Varsity Press, 1984.
2. Johnson, Dennis E. "Philippians" in the Reformed Expository Commentary. Phillipsburg, NJ: P&R Publishing, 2013.
Bible Study Materials for Prayer (2nd half 2015)
1. Carson, D.A. Praying with Paul: A Call to Spiritual Reformation. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2014.
2. Carson, D.A. & Tabb, Brian J. Praying with Paul: A Call to Spiritual Reformation. Bible Study Guide. Nashville, TN: Lifeway Press, 2014.
Great Commission Month Emphasis (July 2016)
Big Idea & Big Aim of the Passage
Handout: Big Idea and Big Aim
Bible Study Materials for 1 Corinthians (2nd half 2016)
1. Jackman, David. Let’s Study 1 Corinthians. Edinburgh, UK: The Banner of Truth Trust, 2004.
2. The Bible Project. (2015, October 15). Read Scripture Series: Paul's 1st Letter to the Corinthians. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiHf8klCCc4.
Bible Study Materials for Acts (1st half 2017)
Bible Study Materials for Acts (2nd half 2017)
1. Johnson, Dennis E. Let’s Study Acts. Edinburgh, UK: The Banner of Truth Trust, 2003.
2. Stott, John. “The Message of Acts: To the Ends of the Earth” in The Bible Speaks Today. Nottingham, England: Inter-Varsity Press, 1991.
Resources for Care Group Leaders
CG Leaders Training Day
1. The Ministry that builds the church (Sat 12 Nov 2016 2016) by Vernon Quek
Expository Teaching Seminars (Grace Baptist Church)
1. Blog Article: Disciple-Making is Ordinary Christianity by Erik Raymond.
Erik Raymond writes, "disciple-making is ordinary Christianity. It is fundamental to it. Like learning to count and say your alphabet in the natural realm, there is scarcely any part of the Christian life where discipleship does not touch. In so far as Christianity is a community faith, it is a disciple-making faith." He goes on to write, "What does [disciple-making] look like? When Jesus commands us to make disciples he intends for us to live our lives in obedience to him in the presence of other people (believers and unbelievers). This intentional living seeks to show others the worth and the power of Christ. In short, we let people in to see how we live out the Christian faith." Read the entire blog article here.
2. Blog Article: Discipleship: When is Enough Enough? by Joe Stengele
How can leaders tell if they are making mature disciples? Paul gives us three places to look: the heart, the head, and the hands of disciples. Read the entire blog article here.
1. 9 Marks Journal: Discipling in the Church
"Discipling is not a program. It is not a podcast preacher. It is not a one-size-fits-all information transfer.
It is life-on-life loving in word and deed.
Jesus told us to make disciples, which means it is a basic part of the Christian life. But we are not always sure how to get a handle on it, or what it looks like."
- Jonathan Leeman
If you want to read more about Disciple-making in the church, you can get the free online journal here.