Starting a Spiritual Revival
Then and nowThe previous chapters (chapter 1-6) have focused on rebuilding the walls of the city. Now, from chapters 7 to 13, we are going to look at rebuilding God's people.
In chapter 7, Nehemiah did two things:
- Provided security (7:1-4)
- Took a census (7:5-73) to give people a sense of national unity
Chapter 8 records for us a revival among the people. What are the elements in a revival?
There is proclamation of God's Word (Nehemiah 8:1-6)
- God's people and a special time (v.1-2). The reading and proclamation took place on the first day of the seventh month. This was 100 years since God's word was preached. Several generations were hearing it for the first time!
- God's people and God's word (v.3-6). The people were attentive (v.3), respectful (v.4-5) and worshipful (v.6).
- God's word can revive (Psalm 119:93)
- God's word is powerful (Hebrews 4:12)
- God word is precious. It reveals way of salvation, and also the provisions for spiritual life and maturity
There is explanation of God's Word (Nehemiah 8:7-8)
- The word was exposited and explained, and made clear to all the people that had gathered, men and women, in order that they might understand what was being read.
There is application of God's Word (Nehemiah 8:9-18)
- As a result of the reading, there was mourning and weeping (v.9). The people were being confronted in the word of God of their sin
- There was also a rejoicing and celebrating (v.10-12) and a practising of their faith (v.13-18). The feast of Booths was celebrated to remember their time in the wilderness.
Understanding and applying the word of God is where spiritual revival will start.