Get Equipped for 2018
Pastor Eugene Low explains how GBC’s new Equip class reinforces the church’s theme for 2018, and encourages us to attend so we can be better equipped to do the Lord’s work.
Since this is the first post of the New Year, it seems apt to consider the topic of resolutions. What are your resolutions for 2018? For me, I’ve resolved not to make any resolutions. Oh, wait… never mind; it looks like I’ve already broken my first resolution of the year!
But seriously, what goals have we set for ourselves in 2018? Perhaps we would like to exercise more, to eat more healthily, to get more sleep, or to spend more time with our families. Have we also made resolutions to grow in our discipleship with Christ?
As Pastor Ian mentioned in an earlier post, biblical discipleship has three interdependent aspects:
- We believe in Jesus;
- We belong to the body of Christ, the church; and,
- We behave in obedience to Christ’s word.
Therefore growing as a disciple means growing in all these aspects of discipleship. This is how we follow Jesus and become more like him.
To help us to grow as Christ’s disciples, we will be launching Equip this month. Equip aims to continue the good work done by the Discipleship Seminars. It is a teaching and training ministry that takes Ephesians 4:12 as its goal: “To equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ.” Most Equip classes will take place on Sundays, from 11 am to 12.30 pm.
Having believed in Christ, we belong to His body. As fellow members of the church, we all have a part to play in doing the work of ministry. This is the reason we study God’s word. Bible knowledge is essential for discipleship, but it is not the goal; rather it is the means to an end. God wants us to know His word in order to be equipped to minister to others. And when we do ministry in this way, we build up the church, the body of Christ.
Are you resolved to grow as a disciple of Christ this year? Better yet, are you resolved to help someone else grow in the faith? Why not make a resolution to be equipped to build up the body of Christ? Be a part of Equip and get equipped to do the Lord’s work in 2018!
These are the Equip classes on offer this year:
- Seek & Discover – Want to find out more about Christianity? This class focuses on addressing questions about the faith. Christians are also welcome to attend to learn how to better engage with others on these questions.
- Love the Word 1: How to Study the Bible –This class aims to help us to rightly understand and apply God’s word.
- Love the Word 2: The Bible’s Big Story from Genesis to Revelation – Is there a big story that connects all the books of the Bible? What is this story about? This class will unpack the grand storyline of Scripture from creation to new creation.
- The Church – What does the Bible say about the church? How should we live as a church? This class focuses on what GBC believes and how we should relate to one another. All are welcome, whether you are thinking of becoming a member of GBC, or are a new member, or a long-time member.
- Men of Grace/Women of Grace: Understanding and Applying Biblical Manhood and Womanhood – How should I live as a Christian man? How should I live as a Christian woman? Both these groups will focus on how the Bible is calling us to live as faithful men and women in singleness, marriage, parenthood, the church, work, etc.
- Disciple One Another – What is a disciple and discipleship? How do I be discipled and disciple someone else? This class seeks to equip us to be disciples who make disciples.
- Live the Word – These classes seek to help us connect God’s word to the matters of life, so that we become hearers as well as doers of the word.
- Live the Word 1: Prayer
- Live the Word 2: Work
- Live the Word 3: Conflict and Peacemaking
- Live the Word 4: Stewarding Time and Money
If you wish to get a copy of the EQUIP schedule, you can download here.
Don't forget that we gather for our Quarterly Congregational Meeting this Sunday, Jan 7 from 11am-12.30pm at the 3rd floor Fellowship Hall. A number of new members have joined GBC over the past few months. Come and hear about how you can encourage and pray for these new members. Also find out more about our plans for 2018 and how we can all work together to build up the church.